Monday, October 2, 2017

Phone visitation--for the birds?

Image here

Phone calls from the children when they are with their dad: has been an ongoing struggle for years. I can tell they aren't comfortable speaking with me on the phone when they're at his house--he's usually right by them, they’re in a hurry, I’m what stands between them and dinner.  And they always ask:  can this be a short call mom?

They sound stressed, like they know they can't really talk to me and are uncomfortable sounding anything close to happy when they do talk to me.

And what makes me sad is that it’s the polar opposite at my house, because I always make time for them to call their dad, never interrupt, etc., let them have as much time.  The handful of times they get the gumption to ask HIM if they can have a short call, 95% of the time he starts needling them as to why, and the short call that they ask for becomes long call.

I’ve tried reinforcing with the girls that the phone calls are for them, not for me or dad, and that it’s okay to want to talk or not want to talk.  It’s funny how they are only comfortable with asking me for a short call, 95% of the time.

The play therapist says to leave it alone, that the girls will grow up and learn that their dad expects one type of behavior from them, and that they will learn that I will listen when they ask for a short call.

I’m trying not to see it as they’re getting into a habit of not valuing talking to me; but we must value talking to him (because I make space for the calls). 

I know it’s a marathon not a race, but sometimes, when they do the ‘can this be a short call’ and if we speak for a minute, and they sound reluctant to talk, I can envision him in the background nodding his head, thinking, see—the kids don’t even want to talk to her.

And I KNOW I have to be the bigger person about this, it just sucks!!!!! 


I also know I need to not take this personally, but last night, my heart hurt.  Being a grown up sucks sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, yes. No doubt it hurts, Jane. It's pretty obvi what he's doing. Not to play tit for tat, but you may want to put a limit on the girls phone time with him? Sometimes being accommodating only ends up putting us in a compromising position. I'd hate to think the girls are getting a message that he is MORE important. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! I hear you. I guess I've been overboard all these years about making sure not to act like him. But I do worry that is the message that is getting to them--they he is 'more' important, when it's not supposed to be a contest in the first place. Dammit. :(

      Delete