Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Headlines



Lately, I’ve been wondering about the goodness in people.  I’ve been caught up in the headlines such as a little boy being bullied for wearing a My Little Pony backpack to school, and the bizarre reaction from the school about the backpack being a “trigger” for bullying.  Seriously?  The adults should know better. http://huff.to/1lLb5P5  I do love that at least there is a lot of support appearing around little Grayson, and thank goodness for that. 

Then I read an article about a woman who is being charged with murdering her fetus that was delivered stillborn, because she did drugs (yes, it’s true), but the fact of the matter is that the drugs had nothing to do with why the baby died.  NOTHING, NIL, NO RELATIONSHIP TO THE SUFFOCATION BY THE UMBILICAL CHORD IN UTERO, but the Mississippi prosecutors are proceeding anyway.  http://www.blogher.com/why-matters-you

Man, I just can’t handle bullying little boys because they like ponies, nor can I handle the likelihood of this teen mom who just lost her baby going to jail.  My blood is boiling!  And half of it is boiling because I feel so insignificant and can’t DO anything.  Change the world!  Stop this bullsh*t!  RAWR!  Why can’t I wave a magic wand and make this earth a better, more loving, accepting place to which my daughters can grow and thrive?

So, with that in mind, I’m fuming at my inabilities.  I wish I could march on over to that school system and give the principal a piece of my mind.  Or that I could somehow hire an excellent attorney for that teenager who has more on her plate than any of us can imagine.  But I can’t.  And it pisses me off.

So what can I do?  Normally, I’d think about how I must concentrate on making a peaceful, supportive, loving home for my daughters.  To teach them social responsibility and to embrace their unique perspectives and teach them to respect others, and should they disagree, be informed about the disagreement, and then stand up for what they believe in, stand up against cruelty, love themselves so they know for certain when “love” is offered with the illusion of having to pay a price.  It’s a tall order.  I wish there was a manual for it.  I hope it’s enough and I’m afraid that it’s not.  It’s all I can do at the moment, though, and I want to be at peace that this is one difference I can make—if I can’t help those kids across the universe, please let me have the strength and consciousness and ability to help and nurture my own.   

But that doesn’t make the fuming go away about the injustices dealt into the world.  I wish I had superpowers and could DO SOMETHING.  So instead of doing something for them, I have to do my best to do something in my small universe.  To be the change I want to see in the world.  Those are nice and unbelievably hopeful words uttered by someone we can all look up to—and I wish and hope they are enough.  Please let them be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment