Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Thank you letter



Dear God,

I am really sorry that I’ve been complaining a lot lately.  I feel like I’ve been all wrapped up in the negativity and stress, and today I woke up very thankful (and a little guilty for being all wrapped up in the stress).

I’m thankful because:  my two daughters are healthy and are growing and thriving.  They love their respective teachers and love learning about the world all around them.  DD1 has a big presentation today, and she practiced it so enthusiastically the other night, peppering her speech with “motions” and “gestures,” like horseback riding with her cousins, fishing with daddy, swimming and boogie boarding in the Atlantic ocean with her step-family.  DD2 loves her preschool pals and teacher, and she’s started gymnastics—and despite the speed bump this past week end, she is enthusiastic and loves it and bounds around excitedly, it’s all very sweet.

I’m thankful for my home, that we have a place to call home, when so many do not.

I’m thankful that we live in a country where girls can actually go to school and not be kidnapped or harassed or shot for doing so.

I’m thankful for my husband, who has, during the latest drama vitriol email exchanges from the ex, demonstrated calm support and encouragement, rather than getting frustrating and then wading into the thick of things to ‘fix’ it.  This latest go around was night and day compared to previous ones.  Apparently he is keeping his word about letting go of these things and doing his best not to overreact, and while I am still watchful, I recognize how hard it is for him to transition into “instant-family” and appreciate his efforts to support me in the hardest times.

I’m thankful for my support network, friends who are therapists and attorneys and friends who have just been there for me, throughout the pre divorce, and contested divorce, and now post divorce.  These people are my chosen family and I couldn’t have made it through without them.

I’m thankful for the myriad of support for the girls, especially for my DD1, who is lucky enough to be involved with lots of activities outside of school so she can build relationships and learn about things (dance, art, music, social responsibility and confidence in brownies), in addition to the elementary school rubrics.

I’m thankful that I have a fridge full of food and a closet full of snacks, so that we never have to worry about going hungry.

I’m thankful for my job, which makes me grow and learn something new every day.  I love that my work helps people in ways that I didn’t understand before coming here.

I’m thankful that I found a safe place to write about all of these things and have made connections with people who are going through similar experiences. 

Actually, now that I think about it, this list could go on and on.  And I’m really thankful about that, too.

Love,
Jane Thrive

4 comments: