Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Working it Out on the Healing Journey




Conundrum:
It's been many years since I left my abusive marriage and years of therapy and now I'm in a healthy re-marriage (5 years next month…!!!), so that's a good thing.  All of these years, I’ve supported my kids and their relationship with their dad and helped them unpack their complicated feelings about being both loyal to him but also not liking that he yells at their grandma and at them.

So whyyyyy am I having a hard time and all triggered that my former abuser might be getting re-married? The good news is my girls really like her. My youngest says she's glad they're getting married because daddy needs help--and went on to explain how they are late sometimes because they have to carry so many bags and make so many trips from the car into the house and daddy gets mad and upset.  I interpret that to mean that he loses his patience and crap with the menial chores and having a nice lady to help them--in my youngest’s mind makes sense—that it will make things easier for him.  At the same time, my eldest laughed when I shared little sister’s story with her.  She was like, Mom, she WISHES they would get married, lol.  Also, from what I understand, she is very well off financially and is generous with the girls (i.e., flies them first class). So what gives?  Why am I suddenly uncomfortable and out of sorts and upset?  And then angry at myself for being upset?

Observation:
I think it's because even though I've done a lot of work in therapy and accept a lot of my trauma around the violence, it's because I see this as so unfair that he 'gets away' with being so horrible. I know that part of forgiveness is letting go, moving on, and living a good life. Which i've been working for years to do so. I'm just struggling with the whole, he gets away with it. And maybe if he gets married again to a financially well off lady, it's like then it's validation that he's "not that bad" in the eyes of the world. Ugh, I guess I really do have a lot more work to do in terms of healing and therapy.

One day I hope to be in a place where this doesn't matter. I've tried the forgiveness meditation on the daily. (I guess keep on working on it... if anyone has words on wisdom ... please share.)

Answer:
So…I called my therapist and checked in and I’m distilling her words of wisdom:

1)  Even if life has moved on, the feelings come because the wounds were so very deep. This explains why, even when travelling down a completely different road altogether, even when embracing healthier ways of living, you can be triggered and why it hurts.  That’s trauma.  That’s PTSD, and that’s why it hurts.

2) Don’t be so quick to brush off the feelings as invalid; don’t be so quick to judge or berate yourself for being upset.  Let the feelings be what they are.  Recognize them.  Validate them.  They are what they are.  That they exist is not a reflection of failure on your part in healing or moving on.  They exist by virtue of what you went through.  Once you allow space for them, *then* you can go into…

3)  Remember, your ex is still your ex.  For a reason.  Would you want to be married to him?  Would you want to be in that violence?  No!  And just because he may be entering into a new marriage—no one knows what that marriage is going to be except for those two people.  His actions now aren’t a reflection of what YOU lived.  That’s on him. 

4)  Lastly, that creeping sensation that this means none of it’s true, or he’s not that bad, that somehow he’s being validated and you are not?  Again, that’s on him and on anyone else who subscribes to that kool-aid.  It might sting, but at the end of the day, you know what you’ve been through.  Your people, the ones who matter, who love and support you, know what you’ve been through.  They matter.  Everyone else, and everything they ‘might’ think…well, they don’t matter at all.  Love yourself and love your kids.  Living your good life is what makes the difference.

5) (these words are from me and not the therapist):   Deep breaths.  This is a damn marathon.  Not kidding.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your 5 points I thought for sure, were from your therapist. You are so healthy, Jane!! I think it's perfectly normal to have these feelings. I recall when my ex began a relationship with a new woman who happens to be a doctor. I felt kind of embarrassed that I was a no-career woman. Sure, I went to Uni and had various jobs in my field of studies, but I gave it up when I had my first baby. Did this mean she was better than me? No of course not. I did feel at the time, though, that he was making a 'step up' and taking her to romantic destinations etc. I then wondered if he was different with her (better). The answer is he is no different than he was with me. I know this now. Your exie will also show his true colors.


    I think there's also that uncertainty of her role as a step-mom with your girls. I mean, right now she's simply a girlfriend but when they're married, shit gets real. Maybe that's going on in the back of your mind, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs Lisa! Thank you so much for your words of wisdom and experience. I really appreciate it. And yes, the words 1 - 4 were from my therapist, of which I expanded a bit...only 5) was from me (but I'm sure she would agree). Yes, I'm triggered from my own childhood adoption/separation trauma, I think, that somehow the bonds between my children and I are at risk, when in reality (in my head), I know that nothing can break my bonds with my daughters. So my therapy and healing journey continues, lol. the good news is that from what I can gather, the girls are affected positively by her presence and so I'm practicing my compassion meditation--may they have peace, may they have happiness... <3 <3 Thank you for your kind understanding. deep breaths <3

    ReplyDelete